Re: Advice on packaging a PHP application (ITP for Shaarli)

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:41:43 -0500, Emilien Klein wrote:

> > I'd go with 0.0.32~beta or similar (assuming that there will be a
> > 0.0.32 release later) since ~ sorts before everything else.
> The upstream author justifies the addition of "beta" to mean "be
> aware, no guarantees, this could break". Until 0.0.7beta (the first
> public release) all the releases have included the word beta. There
> have never been versions 0.0.7, or 0.0.28 without the beta part. It is
> thus highly probable that there will never be a version 0.0.32.

Interesting versioning scheme :)

> In the light of this, would you still use the "beta" part as suggested?

No, I just went by my usual understanding of beta. If 'beta' for this
project is just a meaningless suffix, then my suggestion with '~beta'
doesn't make sense, and either "0.0.32beta" (if you want to keep the
same name) or just "0.0.32" should both be ok.

There's also no strict policy about versions in Debian, usually the
combination of following upstream + using common sense + knowing how
dpkg sorts versions is fine.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Schmetterlinge: Wir hatten Gräber, ihr hattet Siege