Re: leechcraft (closes ITP bug, 33 days have passed)

Hello Boris,

On 08.11.2011 15:58, Boris Pek wrote:
>> qxmpp, Qxt, eiskaltdcpp, miniupnpc, parseUri, lightbox,
>> hunspell/myspell (and anything else in 3rdparty or third-party dirs)
>> are either already in Debian or should be packaged separately, you
>> should not include them in the binary package or tarball.
>
> You are really mistaken at this point. Maybe you have read my description
> inattentive or I have write it not enough clean. So I should explain here...

> All these files were carefully described in suitable sections of
> debian/copyright file. And I don't see any reason to break current structure of
> the package.

I'm sorry, but our policy is very clear on this point. Please refer to
§4.13 [1] for some more background. While it is not a strict must
requirement for every case, there are very good reasons to avoid
embedded code copies whenever possible. I'd consider your case as "when
possible" which makes it somewhat unlikely to find a sponsor for it as
is, which would upload your package.

Note, some popular packages aren't part of Debian for this very same
reason. Think of xbmc for example [2].

We, as a distribution have to be very careful when embedding libraries
and third party applications into a package. You can happily do that
upstream if the respective licenses allow that, but such a package is
not maintainable in a distribution for the general public. Think of
security updates, transitions and other updates and we didn't even talk
about the waste of space yet.

That's especially true for you, who are embedding regular packages into
your binary package which works fine for ... well a lot of reverse
dependencies. If it does not work for you as is with your upstream
source, well, I'd expect the problem to be with it rather on your side.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles
- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll