Re: Overriding .desktop file with localized version (QasMixer)

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Sebastian H. <vand2@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 01.11.2011 15:52, schrieb Andrew Starr-Bochicchio:

>>> It is possible to use this structure:
>>> package qasmixer, depends on:
>>> package qasmizer-data
>>> The -data package may then contain all stuff that works on all
>>> architectures, including all the localized strings in the .desktop file.
>>
>> Of course, you'll get the same lintian warning.
>
> Yes, right, the warning would remain. :/
>
> Here's the more details current upstream scenario.
>
> qasmixer_X.Y.tar.bz2         <- Two number version
> qasmixer-l10n_X.Y.Z.tar.bz2  <- Three number version
>
> X and Y always match, but Z grows with every new l10n submit.
>
> What I can do is to create either
>
> 1. two packages, qasmixer_X.Y and qasmixer-l10n_X.Y.Z
>  - Has the lintian warning issue
>
> 2. one package qasmixer_X.Y.Z with both tarballs merged
>  - Most package data would be duplicated with every l10n submit
>  - Binary would be recompiled on every l10n submit

I suppose I was being a bit glib. If you have a corner case where the
lintian warning can be safely ignored and it is not something that
should be fix in lintian, I think you should just override the lintian
warning.

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer