Re: pre ITP maintainer wishes to remain anonymous

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 03:15:46 PM Russ Allbery wrote:
> Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:
> > Before I filed an ITP the upstream was his own maintainer distributing
> > outside of debian.  His changelog uses his web page instead of his email
> > address.
> >
> > Naturally, this results in lintian error maintainer-address-malformed.
> >
> > How do I keep the history without changing what the previous maintainer
> > did?
>
> Lintian will ignore all changelog entries below the line:
>
>     Old Changelog:
>
> with no leading whitespace in the changelog file.  This is intended to
> allow preservation of historic entries that are not formatted correctly
> for the current standard.

It did not work! I added "^Old Changelog:" (^ denotes beginning of line),
and I still got maintainer-address-malformed comming from a location in the
changelog file after the line begining with "Old Changelog:".

Old Changelog: is documented in the section for
syntax-error-in-debian-changelog perhaps it only works for syntax errors?

Is this a bug or a feature?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J