dh: Unknown sequence /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk (was : pre-build target skipped)

Hi,

 I am still trying to understand what is going on wrong with my
d/rules file. I can see during the build:

dpkg-source: info: applying fix_alphacomp.patch
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk --buildsystem=cmake --parallel
dh: Unknown sequence /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk (choose from:
binary binary-arch binary-indep build build-arch build-indep clean
install install-arch install-indep)
dh clean --buildsystem=cmake --parallel

Does anyone spot the typo in my rules file ?

ref:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/vxl/trunk/debian/rules?view=markup

Thanks

--