Re: RFS: ESO Common Pipeline Library

Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> writes:
> On 10/12/2011 06:57 PM, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "cpl".
> the package does not build in a clean unstable chroot:
> configure:12738: error: cfitsio was not found on your system. Please check!

> This is because cfitsio has been converted to multiarch placing it in
> /usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
> The build should fall back to the system default paths when the library
> is not found in the paths defined in m4/cpl.m4.

OK. One question here: there are other, optional libraries that are
checked in the same way -- libwcs4 and libfftw3. The configure would not
fail if these are not there, but the resulting cpl libs are then
suboptimal.

A simple way would be to remove the checks for libcfitsio3, libwcs4 and
libfftw3 from cpl.m4 completely -- they are supposed to be there because
of the build dependencies of the package, and the filesystem standard
defines where they are. Would this be acceptable, or what would be the
best way to check the multiarch library path additionally? I could also
just add

--with-cfitsio-libs=/usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) \
--with-wcs-libs=/usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) \
--with-fftw-libs=/usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)

as configure options?

> There are a couple of files with copyright held by the FSF in the source
> but thats not mentioned in debian/copyright

How exact should this be? Would be something like

------------------------------8<----------------------------------------
Files: *
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2001-2010 European Southern Observatory
License: GPL-2
 This program is [...] version 2 can be found in the file
 `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'.

Files: */Makefile.in libltdl/* admin/* libcext/m4/lt*.m4 aclocal.m4 configure
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1994-2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License: Free

Files: libcext/cext/snprintf.c
Copyright: Patrick Powell 1995
License: Free

Files: debian/*
Copyright: 2011 Ole Streicher <debian@liska.ath.cx>
License: GPL-2
------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

be sufficient?

> You also don't need the GPL-2 license header twice, once is enough.

I would just keep the first line "License: GPL-2", right?

> you don't need .dirs files for standard system paths like usr/{lib,include}
> "VLT instrument ..." abbreviation in the description needs explaining or
> maybe dropping.
> fi is typed weird in everal places
> line 68 "operations de~Aned on", 108, 112 ...

OK. Will be fixed.

> Also as this package contains a number of libraries please consider
> adding symbol files to aid finding api compatibility problems.

Since I just started with Debian packaging, I dont know how to do
this. I would suggest that I do that in a later release, once I learned
this.

Thank you for your review.

Best regards

Ole