Re: RFS: uhub (closes ITP bug)

* Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>, 2011-10-06, 23:47:
This is bad idea:
W: uhub: non-standard-dir-perm var/log/uhub/ 0750 != 0755
N:
N:    The directory has a mode different from 0755, and it's not one of the
N:    known exceptions.
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 10.9 (Permissions and owners) for
N:    details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: files, Type: binary, udeb

Note the Certainty: possible. Also, quoting the first two sentences of the referenced section:

"The rules in this section are guidelines for general use. If necessary
you may deviate from the details below. "

I believe that setting /var/lib/uhub to 0750 in the deb, instead of the postinst is a good enough reason to deviate from the recommendation, and override the lintian warning.

On the other hand, there exist packages in the archive that do this in postinst, so.. whichever way you prefer.

It's wrong to (unconditionally) chmod in postinst any files that are shipped in the deb. Sysadmin should be free to override permissions by using dpkg-statoverride, and chmodding stuff in posting takes away this freedom. Also, it's racy. :>

I concur with Gergely that setting permissions in the deb is the way to go.

--
Jakub Wilk