package with new soname: questions about .symbols and uploading

Dear mentors,

I've packaged a new version of my library package 'libharu'. Since
upstream uses a -RELEASE type of version number, I copied this, and
this resulted in a libhpdf-2.1.0 package.
I've now updated my package to version 2.2.1.

It builds these binary packages:
libhpdf-2.2.1 - C library for generating pdf files
libhpdf-dev - C library for generating pdf files (development files)

main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libharu/libharu_2.2.1-1.dsc

But I still want to fix the .symbols file. However, I was not able to
find how I should do it in this case (new packagename).
Should I just generate a new file from scratch (I have not seen
incompatible api changes) or refer to the old version number for
functions which were available before.
Anyway, it's a general concern that I find little advice on how a
symbols file should actually look [1] - whether the one I made
previously was actually valid - so I was actually considering to
perhaps not include a symbols file anymore (better no file than one
which is possibly incorrect).

So three questions:
1) should I still have a symbols file?
2) what are good references for building/maintaining it?
3) should I recreate it from scratch - or refer to the old version of
the package?

and one fourth bonus question:
One package which I'm not maintaining relies on libharu. If I upload a
new version this will need a rebuild. How is this usually handled?

Kind regards
 Johan Van de Wauw
[1] eg http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/seedsymbols/main seems to be broken