Re: Git and tarballs

Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> writes:

> Is get-orig-source called by anything or is it "merely" a nice target to
> have so life is easier for other maintainers and oneself when preparing
> new releases?

The latter.  One could replace it with a shell script, but it's a
semi-standard because it's mentioned in Policy.

>> Each time you regenerate the upstream tarball from the Git repository,
>> it will change.  You have to store pristine-tar data for one specific
>> generated tarball, or someone who has only the repository won't be able
>> to recreate the tarball used in Debian packaging.

> Ack, and it also has the added benefit that Debian is always able to
> regenerate the tarball even if upstream and all its repositories/tarballs
> disappeared completely.

Right.  But for me it's convenience that's the biggest factor.  I like
being able to pull down the repository from anywhere and build a new
Debian revision of the package without having to hunt down or download the
original upstream tarball separately.  With Subversion, I ended up
checking the upstream tarballs into the repository to accomplish the same
end, but of course that gets very bloated in terms of space very quickly.