Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for pmwiki
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On 04.07.2011 03:17, Strobl, Robert wrote:
> I need a sponsor for:
> Package name: pmwiki
^^^- its GPL-2 btw.
> Version: 2.2.27
here are a few notes, from me not being a developer and therefore unable
to sponsor you:
* The currently recommended debhelper version is 8 (see debhelper(7)).
Please push in debian/compat and debian/control
* Your Standards version is heavily outdated. See  for a list what to
check, in order to verify whether your package complies with the most
recent standards version which is 3.9.2.
* Some notes about your dependencies:
+ I wonder why you depend on PHP 4. PHP 4 is not available in Debian
+ Moreover you depend on lighttpd (>= 2.4.19) which does not exist at
all. Maybe you meant 1.4.19 which would correspond to the Lighttpd
version which was in Lenny.
+ Instead of your dependency line "apache2 | lighttpd" you probably
want to depend on the httpd-cgi virtual package  instead, and give a
preference if you wish.
+ Finally php-fastcgi seems wrong to me unless you actually depend on
Lighttpd or any other (Fast-)CGI compatible web server. For Apache you
maybe want to depend on libapache2-mod-php5 instead, since this is what
most people are using for PHP when using Apache.
* Your synopsis line is not a synopsis, see  for best practices.
Moreover you need to provide a long description line See §3.4.2 
* Please add VCS links if possible . If not, remove the commented out
entries in debian/control.
* You debian/copyright contains the full URL, i.e. the direct link to
the origin package. Its not wrong to do so, but keep in mind you have to
update this for every upload. Generally its fine enough to point to the
upstream homepage there. There is also DEP-5  which is perhaps the
way to go for future packages. This not required though.
* debian/docs is empty. If you don't install any docs that way, remove
* Similarly, remove pmwiki.doc-base.EX unless you really want to ship a
doc-base package (if so, you would still have to rename it of course)
* Your postinst script is terribly dangerous. No you don't want chmod
777. Really. Moreover this script can be called in many different ways
and you break most of them. Finally you miss the #DEBHELPER# hook.
Please read  about maintainer script invocation.
* Please remove unnecessary comments in debian/rules
* Please make a compliant patch from patches/debian-changes-2.2.27-1.
Its contents are not wrong, but its considered a bad style to make
upstream changes like this. Please make a proper quilt patch 
* You don't provide a watch file. Learn more about watch files on 
* Your package contains GIF files. There are some discussions whether
they fall into the "preferred form for modification" rule as they are
binary data . However I believe for your use case its fine to
package them. Maybe someone else may comment on this.
* Your package is not lintian clean (this shouldn't suprise you):
W: pmwiki source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends pmwiki
W: pmwiki source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/pmwiki.doc-base.EX
W: pmwiki source: maintainer-script-lacks-debhelper-token debian/postinst
W: pmwiki source: format-3.0-but-debian-changes-patch
W: pmwiki source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.4 (current is 3.9.2)
I: pmwiki source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
P: pmwiki: no-upstream-changelog
E: pmwiki: description-starts-with-package-name
I: pmwiki: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
W: pmwiki: description-too-long
E: pmwiki: extended-description-is-empty
W: pmwiki: extra-license-file usr/share/pmwiki/docs/COPYING.txt
I: pmwiki: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/pmwiki/pub/css/
I: pmwiki: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/pmwiki/wiki.d/
W: pmwiki: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
W: pmwiki: maintainer-script-ignores-errors postinst
with kind regards,
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC
GnuPG Key-ID: 0x9D80F36D
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----