Re: RFS: cutmp3

Hi Ankit,

As I wrote the RFP for this package, I want to give you a review.

On 04/20/11 11:17, Ankit Gupta wrote:
> * Package name    : cutmp3
>   Version         : 2.0.2
>   Upstream Author : Jochen Puchalla <mail@puchalla-online.de <mailto:mail@puchalla-online.de>>
>
> * URL             : http://www.puchalla-online.de/cutmp3.html
> * License         : GPLv2
>   Section         : x11
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> cutmp3     - small and fast command line MP3 editor

No it does not (at least not at the warning/info level).

I: cutmp3 source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
W: cutmp3 source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.3 (current is 3.9.1)
W: cutmp3 source: non-native-package-with-native-version

- Please consider adding a watch file so that new upstream releases can
  be tracked (first lintian tag).
- You should update the standards-version (and comply with it, the
  second warning, which is now even 3.9.2).
- Your version in debian/changelog is incorrect (see also last lintian
  warning).
- Did you consider making the package optional instead of extra?
- Why build depend on gcc, that in essentials, or are you sure you need
  the version? Why the other versioned build dependencies?
- You copyright file has several issues.
  o your license and the one you claim for upstream are not compatible,
    I suggest you use the same as upstream. Upstream license is
    different then in that file.
  o it is not complete. Please note ALL copyright holders for ALL
    files. The info in the package is incomplete, you want to contact
    upstream to make the headers of mpglib.c better to include the
    proper license.
  o please consider using DEP5 format [1]
- Your tar file is not the same as upstream version, please don't
  change it.

- I wonder why upstream builds against libncurses, maybe interesting to
  figure out or ask him:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libncurses.so.5 could be avoided
if "debian/cutmp3/usr/bin/cutmp3" were not uselessly linked against it
(they use none of its symbols).

> The upload would fix these bugs: 619703

Great

Paul