pycxx packaging

Hi,
I intend to adopt the pycxx package used to build python extensions in C
++ [0].

I'd like to ask for some advice on how to package it in the best
possible way.
Currently it contains of an basically empty package python-cxx and the
python-cxx-dev package which contains the required headers and sources
to build the an extension.
The user is required to build the sources them self and link the result
with their files.
The sources are placed in /usr/share/python2.6/CXX

I intend to change this by building a library which must only be linked
with extension objects (proof of concept patch for build system
forwarded [1]).
See also the similar package libboost-python which provides
libboost-python.so for some reference.

Concerning this I have some questions:
- Is there anything obvious I'm overlooking in my plan?

- If upstream does not accept the patch, should I go ahead and patch the
package to provide a library or stick with upstream intended build
scheme?

- When providing a library, should the source still be shipped (when the
rdeps [2] are adapted)? Is the location policy conform
(/usr/share/python2.6/CXX)?

- Should a shared or static library or both be provided?
A shared library would obviously decrease memory usage a bit, but there
are only two rdeps [2] and it makes library transition and maintenance
harder (abi compatibility ...).
Is it worth it?

- should the package be renamed to libpython-cxx? As it is really a
library and no python module.

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3177349&group_id=3180&atid=353180
[2] pysvn, freecad, (matplotlib [embedded copy])

Best Regards,
Julian Taylor