Re: Sponsors and ‘UNRELEASED’ suite

Jonathan Wiltshire <debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 08:18:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Stefano Rivera <stefano@rivera.za.net> writes:
> > > First, we don't tag releases until they are uploaded. You can
> > > leave the changelog entry as UNRELEASED, and the sponsor will fix
> > > that and tag on upload.
> >
> > Is this common practise among sponsors?
>
> No, it's merely the convention of the Python application/modules teams
> in the SVN repository. This workflow (UNRELEASED until ready, tagged
> after upload) helps keep the package entropy tracker sane while
> multiple contributors are committing changes.

Ah, right. Yes, this is exactly what I do with packages while they
aren't yet released to a sponsor.

I guess I misread Stefano's advice as meaning that the package would be
created with ‘UNRELEASED’ as the suite name and the sponsor would need
to change it in the package before re-building for Debian.

Stefano Rivera <stefano@rivera.za.net> writes:

> Hi Ben (2010.11.05_23:18:41_+0200)
> > Is this common practise among sponsors?
>
> It is for debian-python. I don't have any experience with other
> SVN-using teams.
[…]
> Yes, it does mean the sponsoree has to state which suite is desired.
> But it saves on a lot of untagging and retagging in each round of
> review, and makes it a little easier to know the state of things when
> reading the repo.

Okay, so this is only about the state of the package in the VCS, not
about packages built prospectively for inspection by a sponsor.

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for using the term “sponsoree”
instead of some of the mangled terms that have been used recently for
that role :-)

--
 \     “I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in |
  `\   my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.” —Emo Philips |