Re: RFS: netsniff-ng (updated package)

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Daniel Borkmann
<danborkmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new upstream release 0.5.5.0 of my package
> "netsniff-ng".

Looks like Kartik Mistry uploaded this already without replying to the list.

I grabbed the package from incoming.d.o and here is a review:

You might want to look at debhelper 7's dh / rules.tiny.

Your Architecture field is quite long, perhaps you should use the new
wildcard options (e.g. linux-any):

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Architecture
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s-arch-wildcard-spec

Since you are upstream, please look at porting it to Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD and Debian GNU/Hurd.

Your watch file seems to think there is a new upstream version:

$ uscan
netsniff-ng: Newer version (0.5.5.0-rc1) available on remote site:
  http://www.netsniff-ng.org/pub/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng-0.5.5.0-rc1.tar.gz
  (local version is 0.5.5.0)
netsniff-ng: Successfully downloaded updated package
netsniff-ng-0.5.5.0-rc1.tar.gz
    and symlinked netsniff-ng_0.5.5.0-rc1.orig.tar.gz to it

Your upstream Makefile installs in /usr instead of /usr/local. From
source installs should always go to /usr/local by default. Switching
to autotools would help here, they do everything the right way.

debian/copyright does not document the extra copyright holders and
special licenses of src/xmalloc.c, src/bpf.c, src/strlcpy.c,
src/include/protocols/csum.h, src/include/ticks.h,
src/include/xmalloc.h. Also, probably you and Emmanuel do not own
copyright on src/strlcpy.c. I doubt that src/rules/*.bpf are
copyrightable.

The licensing for the IEEE OUI data in src/include/oui.h is unclear
(see bug #522741). Also, instead of duplicating that data in the
package, once ieee-oui-data is available, please consider either
build-depending on ieee-oui-data and compiling it into the binary or
even better, loading it into memory at runtime.

Likewise, ports_*.h should be replaced by reading data from
/etc/services at runtime.

There is no Makefile rule to convert src/man/netsniff-ng.txt to netsniff-ng.8.

Your upstream Makefile does not emit the list of commands being run.
Please add a verbose option to the Makefile and set it in
debian/rules.

Looks like there are some commits to merge from Emmanuel Roullit:

http://github.com/danborkmann/netsniff-ng/network

And some bugs filed by him:

http://github.com/danborkmann/netsniff-ng/issues

A dpkg-shlibdeps warning:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on librt.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/netsniff-ng/usr/sbin/netsniff-ng" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).

Some lintian complaints:

I: netsniff-ng: spelling-error-in-binary ./usr/sbin/netsniff-ng
Compatability Compatibility
I: netsniff-ng: spelling-error-in-binary ./usr/sbin/netsniff-ng
Informations Information
I: netsniff-ng: spelling-error-in-binary ./usr/sbin/netsniff-ng Nam Name
I: netsniff-ng: spelling-error-in-binary ./usr/sbin/netsniff-ng
ELETRONIC ELECTRONIC

--
bye,
pabs