Re: Doubts in Sigar packaging

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 01:51:22PM -0300, Thiago Franco de Moraes wrote:
> I'm trying again to package a library called SIGAR [1] because it's a
> requirement in a free software help to develop called InVesalius [2].
> During this trying some doubts occurred:
>
> * The Source is in git [3]. I'm not using the last stable version
> because I wasn't able to compile it. What's the policy to version
> packages from git? I'm using this way:
>
> sigar-1.7.0~git833ca18ecfc1f3f45eaf8544d8cdafef6603772d
>
> after git is the commit version I'm using.

Yeah, that isn't going to work -- what if the next SHA you want to package
is 12345[blah]... it'll look like a lesser version to dpkg.  What you need
to do is select a monotonically increasing number to work from.  I think the
most common option is to just take the date of the last commit in the repo
and use that, so something like sigar-1.7.0~git20100915.  Assuming that you
don't want to package two versions from the same day, that should work just
fine.

You'll want a debian/README.source describing where the git repo is that you
got your export from, and how other people can recreate it (or update it),
for cleanliness.

- Matt