Re: RFS: xinput-calibrator

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Tias <tias@ulyssis.org> wrote:

> Hmm, I don't know why quilt would have created that. However, the patches
> are incorporated in the new release, so the use of quilt is no longer
> needed.

It would be dpkg-source that did that, not quilt. It does that when
you have changes to the upstream files that are not in a patch.

> Actually I think it is positives, projects on github have a far more
> descriptive README (and thus documentation) then many other (starting)
> projects.

I noticed a way to workaround this the other day. Move the README that
is meant for github users to README.markdown and then create a new
README that can be installed in the package.

>> The upstream ChangeLog file should be named NEWS, ChangeLog is
>> supposed to be more like a VCS log. You can generate a ChangeLog at
>> tarball build time using git2cl in Makefile.am:
>>
>> http://josefsson.org/git2cl/
>>
>> dist-hook:
>>         LC_ALL=C git log --pretty --numstat --summary $(VERSION) |
>> git2cl>  $(distdir)/ChangeLog
>
> The changelog consists of all the changesets that went in the release,
> instead of all the individual changes.
> I see no point in copying the vcs history, that seems excessive and
> uninformative to me. I would prefer to keep the changelog in its current
> format.

The traditional format for ChangeLog was defined before cvs2cl and
other tools that export version control history. The traditional
contents for ChangeLog were basically like a VCS log and NEWS files
were for user-visible release notes. These days only folks from the
old days seem to adhere to the GNU coding standards documents for
these two files.

>> debian/copyright also misses the copyright/license
>> information for the icon.
>
> added CC-BY-SA 3.0 reference, or do I have to copy the entire 6 page legal
> code...

Until it is available in /usr/share/common-licenses/ you need to copy it.

>> debian/copyright does not document the other copyright holder.
>
> I don't understand this remark, I am the sole main copyright holder. Certain
> portions were contributed by other developer, hence their copyright is on
> those specific files too.

You are the sole main copyright holder but not the sole copyright
holder. debian/copyright should document all copyrights.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise