ITH! webalizer

First, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (current maintainer) if you have plans
for Wheezy, please tell me so, if not, why don't you fill and RFH or RFA
?

So in case Felipe Augusto van de Wiel never answers, this is an Intent
To Hijack ;) the webalizer package.

Here is about why:

The package has been uploaded only once by it's current maintainer: let
the changelog [1] speaks. Current version is 2.01.10-32.7, so there was
seven NMU to bring it there...

 1: http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/webalizer/current/changelog
| webalizer (2.01.10-32) unstable; urgency=low
|
|   * New Maintainer. (Closes: #407676).
|   * Acknowledge NMU (2.01.10-31.1), thanks Christian. (Closes: #403415,
|     #404180, #398840, #399063, #399081, #401621, #401805).
|
|  -- Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>  Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:19:53 -0200

le the upstream was inactive for several years there are new releases
now. A bug about this is open [2] since July 2008. And does not show
much recent interest from the maintainer.
 2: http://bugs.debian.org/491200

I feel what I'm currently doing is kind of rude, however webalizer
deserve a better packaging. I'm running my personal server at home for
several years now so I keeps the logs (Eben Molgen explained why this is
important) but If you want to have a look at what's in your log, then
webalizer already does a great job for you.

I'm currently learning the debian work and find it particularly
difficult to start during freeze time... I'm going to need mentors and
sponsor for that. So I did sent copy of this email to mentors for wise
advices and a few other people that have shown interest in the package,
sorry if it bothers you guys.

My plan is:
 - wait a little for response
 - prepare a new package of the new version using format 3.0 quilt
 - check all patch from previous debian package
 - check all patch on the bts
 - check all remaining bugs on the bts
 - fill an RFS

I'm aware that squeeze is frozen, so any package I could prepare would
go to experimental.

Best Regards

--
Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>