Re: i18n issues, especially man pages

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:34:09 +0200
Simon Paillard <spaillard@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 06:19:56PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > I've been sent a set of Spanish translations for roxterm, including the
> > Docbook XML sources for the man pages, but I can't work out how to
> > support internationalisation of these.
>
> (Can't find any bug number for that)

Does that mean I've asked an inappropriate question? I thought it was OK
to ask here for general advice related to packaging. This may not be
strictly Debian-specific, but I want to make sure the upstream package
is consistent with Debian policies and practices.

> > The first problem is that the translator tells me that the headings -
> > "NAME", "SYNOPSIS", "AUTHOR" etc - which are generated by
> > xmlto/xsltproc, didn't get translated. How can it be made to output
> > localised versions?
>
> The XML file needs to contain <book lang="en"> with en can be replaced
> by the two-letter ISO code for the language.
> Then docbook tools will use their internal translation from
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/common/es.xml (in the case of
> spanish).

OK, thanks.

> Using po4a is recommended, as it uses translators work (gettext po files
> can then be used to translate this XML files, translations
> statistics/status, possibility to send translation calls...).
> http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/

I came across that while I was searching and thought it looked good.
I'll suggest it to the translator and consider using it to support
future translations, but as he's already worked on the XML files it
might be easier for him to stick with that.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk