Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

Quoting Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>:

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:59, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
* When fixing bugs that prevented a previous release (e.g. one made to
 mentors.debian.net) from making it into Debian (e.g. because the
 sponsor requires further changes), recommended practice is to
 increment the release number and make a new changelog entry, to
 easily distinguish from any existing release.

This is only required by *SOME* sponsors, and I absolutely *DO NOT
WANT* this from my sponsorees; so please stop (target is everyone)
spread mis-information to people approaching Debian since few time,
like it's a "project requirement" when it is not.

Sandro ;-)

My context analyzer claims [1] that what Ben wrote was more like question (though the question mark and interrogative form were missing;-), rather than a ironed rule.

Should we leave that to the sponsoree's discretion, and live in peace? ;-) Does anybody see any flaws with that?

[1] citing him: "As I understand it..."