Re: RFS: dma (bugfixes, debconf, 3.0 (quilt))

Peter Pentchev writes:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 04:56:45PM +0200, George Danchev wrote:
> > > Dear mentors,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.0.2009.07.17-3
> > > of my package "dma", the DragonFly Mail Agent.  This version
> > > fixes a couple of bugs, updates the debconf translations, and
> > > converts the package to the 3.0 (quilt) source format.
>
> [snip]
>
> I've uploaded a new package with the same version number,
> 0.0.2009.07.17-3; the mentors.d.n URL is the same,
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dma/dma_0.0.2009.07.17-3.dsc
>
> The changes are:
> - the postinst script does an additional chown/chmod if necessary
>   (see below)
> - the smarthost and dbounceprog are always taken from the debconf
>   database, never from the (possibly modified by hand) dma.conf file;
>   this fixes #544663, since there is no way to tell if the dma.conf
>   contents are from a modification by hand or from an earlier debconf
>   run with the default "mail.example.com" value!
> - the debian/config script mistakenly looked for "defer" instead of
>   "dbounceprog"
>
> See below for more comments.
>
> > >   * Really install the files in /etc/dma/ as root/mail/640.
> > >     Closes: #544664
> >
> > That only works for a newly installed dma package, and won't work for
> > upgrading from older versions. My best bet on that would be a debconf
> > question asking the user to perform the above actions on  files at
> > /etc/dma/.
>
> Well, actually, upon thinking about it a bit more, it turns out that
> a debconf question is never really needed.  The dma executable binary
> is always installed setgid mail, so root/mail/640 for /etc/dma/*
> Should Be Enough For Everyone(tm) :)

That is also true, and actually preferred way to go in that case.

> I've added a snippet to the postinst script, checking whether we're
> upgrading from an earlier version and doing the chown/chmod if so.
> IMHO, this should cover all cases.
>
> > >   * Install the /usr/bin/mailq and /usr/bin/newaliases symlinks.
> > >     Closes: #558421
> > >   * Switch to the 3.0 (quilt) source format.
> > >   * Update the debconf translations:
> > >     - add German.  Closes: #552754
> > >     - add Japanese.  Closes: #554515
> > >     - remove a double space and unfuzzy the translations.  Closes:
> > > #552586 * Fix a crash when the SMTP server does not support STARTTLS.
> > > Closes: #547594
> >
> > I had a look at 25-unsupported-starttls.patch, which looks good to me,
> > however I was not able to test it, so I assume you have tested that
> > as well.
>
> Yes, it's really easy to test - just point dma to any mailserver that
> does not recognize the STARTTLS command on port 25 :)  But, yes, I've
> tested it and it seems to work.

Yeah, time (check on the run;-) now upon upload, I tested with and without
STARTTLS.

> > By the way, IMO having so many patches in debian/patches (in fact much
> > more than source files;-) looks like you are trying to develop there,
> > nothing wrong with that, but it is not the most suitable place for that
> > purpose. For instance, 9K 20-parse-recipient.patch is suitable for a new
> > feature branch. IMO you either push that harder upstream [1], slow down
> > pushing such feature patches with the package or fork the whole thing
> > upstream and form a new project. Actually you have already diverged that
> > enough to do the latter. IMO, debian/patches should be only for patches
> > specific to Debian, feature explosions should be evolved upstream ;-)
> >
> > [1] though I don't see that rejected at (as written in the patch header):
> > http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issue1321
>
> Well, I wrote most of those patches because without them, dma either simply
> could not replace a local MTA (e.g. the "sendmail -t" mode tha many, many
> programs use to send e-mail messages in a really simple way), or did some
> really weird things (e.g. the "seen" patch that was later integrated and
> without which dma would list the same message several times when listing
> the queue with no indication whether it was needed or not).  Most of
> the patches were accepted upstream, and some (like -t processing) were
> not explicitly rejected, but implemented in a different way in later
> versions.  When I finish integrating a later snapshot of dma in my
> local repository, you'll see the next Debian upload with a lot less
> non-Debian-specific patches :)

Okay, I'd really like that.

> Yes, I know debian/patches is not intended as a development repository,
> especially on a project with a very active and responsive upstream, as
> dma happens to be.  I don't do this with other packages, but this
> particular case was special - in order to be an easily-usable MTA, dma
> needed a couple of nudges in the right direction, but definitely not
> enough to warrant a full-scale fork on my part.

Good. My whole point was not to silently grow a thoroughly different/deviated
dma while packaging it for Debian ;-)

> Thanks for taking a look at it and for the comments; and thanks in advance
> should you decide to also take a look at the new version :)

Welcome.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>