Debconf config runs before pre-depends packages

Hi,
I am developing a package for my private use. It uses debconf. I have config script, which scans the system and gives questions and then stores information into debconf database, and postinst script to set up something using that valuses. There is some Pre-Depend package, which is needed in the config script. The config file is run twice - in preconfig stage (wherever the apt is configured so) and in configure stage (being forked from postinst). In preconfigure stage there is not the Pre-Depend package available and I can't finish the scan of the system. I need to scan the system before I ask question. Policy say to ask all question in config, not in postinst.

So there are two major question:
How can I distinguish inside the config script in which stage I am?
Joey plans to push the debconf as a part of dpkg and then config will be called only once in preconfigure stage. Then I will be totaly unable to run something from pre-depend package in config. Will I have to ask questions directly in postinst or preinst (against the policy)?