Re: How to properly register a program in KDE/GNOME

Am Samstag, den 05.12.2009, 12:06 +0100 schrieb Eric Lavarde:

> I now know why it's not working, it's because I'm testing under KDE 3.5
> (Lenny) and it makes a difference for xdg-utils!

[..]
> So, basically, under Lenny/KDE, xdg-mime uses an application that
> doesn't use the XDG framework... Sounds like a bug, no?

JFTR: KDE 3 doesn't use the freedesktop.org stuff. So I wouldn't
consider this buggy behavior. However I don't know the internals of
xdg-mime well enough to judge.

> Furthermore, regarding now under Sid/console, xdg-mime is using
> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list to find the right application;
> this file is supposed to be created by update-desktop-database (part of
> the desktop-file-utils package); this call is supposed to be added to
> packages through dh_desktop, but man dh_desktop under Sid tells me that
> it's obsolete and doesn't do anything.

defaults.list is AFAIK not intended to be created. The file created is
mimeinfo.cache. The defaults.list file is only created when e.g.
configuring a default application for a MIME type via e.g. nautilus.

But xdg-query should probably return the first registered application in
mimeinfo.cache when no defaults.list is available (IMO this is what
happens usually, when no default application is configured).

Regards, Daniel