Re: Packaging reSIProcate (unstable API / sonames / contrib directory)

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Gregor Jasny<gjasny@googlemail.com> wrote:

> A) The API of the library is not stable. From version to version (e.g.
> 1.4 to 1.5) virtual functions, arguments, etc. are changing.

If nothing other than repro/return-server uses the libraries, it might
be a good idea to ship them as private libraries. If something else
uses the libraries it might be a good idea to upload to experimental
only.

> B) ReSIProate libraries have no soname

See above. Please consider educating upstream about SONAMEs. In
addition, make it a Debian-specific SONAME if you change it.

> C) The contrib directory and the copyright file
>
> reSIProcate contains a contrib directory which contains several third
> party libraries. I use none of them and also don't intent to do so.
>
> Can I keep them in the tarball?
> Must I list their copyrights in the debian/copyrights file?

I'd suggest educating upstream about including embedded code copies.
I'd also suggest repacking the tar.gz. If you prefer not to, please rm
-rf the contrib/ directory in the build target so that reSIProcate is
not accidentally linked against stuff in the contrib dir. If you don't
repack, you will need to document their license/copyright information
in debian/copyright. The copyright file installed in the .deb can have
less information though since nothing in the contrib/ directory should
be in the .deb.

PS: be sure to read libpkg-guide and its two bug reports if you haven't already.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise