Re: Proper dependency on essential package (dpkg) for preinst

Hello Sven,
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:01:32PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Am 28.05.2009 um 20:16 schrieb Helge Kreutzmann:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 07:53:36PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > The reason is the following in the preinst (which I inherited, so if
> > it is wrong, I gladly rewrite/improve):
> >
> > case "$1" in
> >   upgrade|install)
> >     if ! LC_ALL=C update-alternatives --display asclock 2>&1 | grep 'error: no alternatives' > /dev/null ; then
> >       update-alternatives --auto asclock
> >       update-alternatives --remove asclock $asclock-4bpp
> >       update-alternatives --remove asclock $asclock-8bpp
> >       update-alternatives --remove asclock $asclock-24bpp
> >     fi
> >   ;;
> >   abort-upgrade)
> >   ;;
> >   *)
> >     echo "asclock preinst called with an unkown argument: $1" >&2
> >     exit 1
> >   ;;
> > esac
>
> Looking at old asclock versions on archive.debian.net, these lines have
> been around at least since potato.  So I think you can safely assume
> that the asclock alternatives do not exist anymore and simply ditch the
> preinst script altogether.

Well, so far I've never investigated what exactly those lines intended
to achive. Looking more closely and realising that there is only one
asclock in the archive (even for Oldstable) I agree that the best path
forward is to remove the preinst

> While we're at it: the prerm script is also cruft.

.. and the prerm.

Thanks for your swift response and help.

Greetings

          Helge