Re: RFS: lesstif2 (updated package)

> This is a big package with a high popcon count, do you have the time
> for such a large task? On your own? Is there any upstream activity?

I have the intention to try. And of course all help is appreciated, but
I would say that any improvement over inactivity is good. I really think
this cleaning up could solve a lot of bugs and annoyance to users. And,
no, there is hardly upstream activity. The last couple of years only
some rare patches got applied.

> The PTS claims 85 lintian errors and warnings, so that is a
> considerable advance. The spelling error appears trivial and the
> autotools ones are new, there was an announcement about those on
> debian-devel regarding problems with new architectures (and, for that
> matter cross-building) when these files are so out of date. autoreconf
> will sort those out - you could try it in debian/rules but be aware
> that updating such an old package could cause new bugs so it might be
> best to do the entire refresh thing upstream.

> Those aren't particularly suitable library names, so you may want to
> use a lintian override for now and use a more sensible name in a future
> upstream release - again, a large step for a package of this size.

Except for an override for the package-name-doesnt-match-sonames (with
reference to the above statement) the package is now appears completely
lintian clean:
(pbuild17332) etna lesstif2-0.95.0 # lintian --allow-root -I -E
--pedantic ../*.changes
N: 1 tag overridden (1 warning)
(pbuild17332) etna lesstif2-0.95.0 # lintian --allow-root -I -E
--pedantic ../*.deb
N: 1 tag overridden (1 warning)

Michael Biebl wrote:
> A less invasive approach is, to build-depend on autotools-dev and copy
> config.(guess,sub) from there. If you backup the exisisting files, you
> can easily copy them back on clean to return to a pristine state.

I fixed the outdated-autotools-helper-file by using the approach
proposed by Mickael. (No need to back them up, just removing them on clean).

> There needs to be a quick, easy way of testing the package - is there a
> script or internal program that can be run or a simple way of writing a
> test program? What needs to be done to run stuff in the test/
> directory? It doesn't use 'make check' (which appears to do nothing
> in particular).

Running the tests in the package can be done by running using
--enable-build-tests on configure time. Then in the test/Xm or
test/Xm-2.1 dir running the testall command. Apparently, a lot of these
test have failed for a long time (nobody cared?). To compare, I did the
tests (except for printing, where I needed a patch to build anyway) for
a build of lesstif2-0.95-2.1 lesstif2-0.95-2.1ubuntu1 and
lesstif2-0.95-2.3. The results:
2.1: 350 failed out of 609
2.1ubuntu1: 350 failed out of 609 (although two test results swapped
with 2.1)
2.3 351 failed out of 609

I will look into this further, but still, this upload would fix a lot of
standing bugs.

A new version is available on mentors:
main contrib non-free
- dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lesstif2/lesstif2_0.95.0-2.3.dsc

I hope somebody is able to give me more feedback (or ultimately upload
the package).
Paul