Re: RFS: gtk-theme-switch (updated package)

On Sat, 2 May 2009 12:57:33 +0200
Denis Briand <denis@narcan.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 06:35:14PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Since this release it is maintained as a Debian native package.
> >
> > That doesn't mean it is correct to do so :)
>
> Hello,
> Thank you for the upload.
> I can put it in non-native package for futur version if it cause some trouble.
> I let it in native because it was in native since 2004.
> The upstream is dead.

Just because upstream is dead and you have become the de facto upstream
by packaging it for Debian, does not mean that the package is native to
Debian. It is still a non-native package - just that it's one that only
exists in Debian and has a Debian maintainer in upstream. That is
exactly the same situation as drivel, pilot-qof and gpe-expenses are
for me, but those are still non-native packages because they can (and
do) work on other distributions. The fact that they were not originally
available on anything other than Debian is irrelevant.

Native packages are a special case and should not be abused.

--

Neil Williams