Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

[Transferred to -devel as suggested. Please follow-up there].

Le Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 04:40:33PM +0000, Sune Vuorela a écrit :
> http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
>
> It is a too complex, overengineered solution to a very minor issue.
> It is not easy readables for humans
> It is ugly
> Too time consuming to write and check
> No real gain.

Hi Sune,

Ugliness was already reported earlier by Christoph Berg, and I think that the
only reason why his points have not been integrated in the wiki page is because
his comments came after a consensus emerged that the page was overloaded and
that we would first change the discussion medium before resuming discussions
and modifications.

I am quite confident that readability can be much improved. See for instance
the copyrignt file of the perl packages created with recent versions of
dh-make-perl, like the following one:

http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/libfile-find-object-perl_0.2.0-1.html#binary-libfile-find-object-perl-copyright

In my opinion, it is already quite nice and readable compared to dh-make's
template, that starts by dealing about "debianization" before going to the most
important: the main license of the package. Nevertheless, we could probably
slim the machine-readable version down to something like:

------------------------
Name: File-Find-Object
Maintainer: Olivier Thauvin <shlomif@iglu.org.il>
Source: http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Find-Object/

Copyright: © 2009, Olivier Thauvin <shlomif@iglu.org.il>
License: Artistic or GPL-1+

License: Artistic
    it under the terms of the Artistic License, which comes with Perl.
    On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the Artistic License
    can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic'

License: GPL-1+
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
    any later version.
    On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
    Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'

Files: debian/*
Copyright: 2009, Alejandro Garrido Mota <garridomota@gmail.com>
License: Artistic or GPL-1+

Format-Specification: Machine-readable copyright declaration version 1

Do not hesitate to make suggestions, there is no doubt the proposal can be
impoved !

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy