Re: preinst script: warning that downgrading isn't supported.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a package that have a postinst script that process the
> package's data on upgrade.
>
> Is there any current (best) practice to warn the user that downgrading
> isn't supported? (I mean, explicitly notifying when downgrade is not
> supported, rather than silently assuming that the user knows that
> downgrading isn't supported in Debian)?

I don't think it's necessary to warn the person that downgrading isn't
supported. Even suggesting that downgrading of this package is
unsupported might imply to users that downgrading of other packages.

But if you want to go ahead with it, insserv does have a rather
explicit message about the lack of a downgrade. (Although this is not
triggered automatically on install.)

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/initscripts-ng/trunk/src/insserv/debian/insserv.templates?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

Regards,
Daniel