Re: Developer names within debian/changelog

Thijs, Goswin: Please follow the Debian mailing list code of conduct
<URL:http://www.debian.org/MailingLists#codeofconduct>, in particular
please don't send me copies of messages also sent to the list.

Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:

> Nearly all of the changelog is currently not machine-parsable, with
> notable exclusion of the first and last line (-- author), and the
> closes: statements. Everything else, like descriptions of files
> changed, bugs fixed, translations updated, release codenames and
> indeed maintainer names are there only for humans to read.

Okay, thanks for this answer.

AFAICT, this leads to "put whatever you want within a changelog entry,
so long as it doesn't cause significant annoyance, because no program
can expect to read it".

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

> Any consumer must accept anything with two leading spaces. Expecting
> anything beyond that is not garantied to work. But a pretty good bet
> is that it will follow the single or multi maintainer format
> prodused by e.g. dch.

The problem is that I need to reverse-engineer what debchange is doing
if I want to reproduce it myself.

> If you want to write your own tool to interpret a changelog entry

I don't. I want to be considerate to people who *do* write such tools.

Thanks again for everyone's answers, I have what I need now.

--
 \         "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, |
  `\         Brain, but three round meals a day wouldn't be as hard to |