Re: Re: RFS: bluemindo

Hi,

your package now builds fince twice in a row. Well done!
As I said here are my further comments:

- Important: You install an extra-license file which causes a lintian
  warning. Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.5 for details. Please
  always check your package against a recent lintian from unstable.

- debian/rules:
  Hm. You use CDBS, but you don't use python-distutils. You may want to
  change that. Otherwise you need to handle some things yourself. See
  [5] for some informations.

- debian/copyright:
    - Please don't throw copyright and license informations together. If
      you have parts in the source tarball that are not licensed the
      same way as the main program itself, then I recommend you to open
      another License block with an additional "(for ...)" that states
      which file is meant. BTW. what do you think about this [1] format?
    - (C) has no legal meaning. You have to replace it with ©.

- debian/menu:
  So far so good. What about providing an icon? See [2] for some
  information.

- debian/README.source:
  You should rename it to .source instead of .Source because thats its
  filename according to policy. Otherwise its incomplete. It needs to
  document at a bare minimum: 1) Creating a fully-patched source, 2)
  Modifying the source and save those modifications to let them be
  applied during building 3) Remove applied modifications. See [3]
  for the mail originally sent by Russ.

- debian/watch:
  Is still missing. For now you could use the watch file I've
  constructed for you. Or do you see complications with this? See below,
  I've cited the relevant parts of my previous mail at the end of this
  mail.

- debian/compat:
  You use compat level 6. Do you really use any features from it?
  Because it has been said, that one should better use the highest
  supported version in a stable release, to make it easier for
  backports. See [4] for informations.

- debian/docs:
  Please include the upstream changelog so that it gets installed
  compressed to /usr/shared/doc/$pkg/changelog.gz

- debian/patches/*:
  You said that you think your patches speak for themselves. I disagree.
  There is no description what they do and the file name is not making
  it more obvious. You should better that by adding comments (if that is
  supported by simple patchsys) or by at least renaming the patches to
  something more meaningful.

- debian/control:
    - Build-Depends seem to be wrong, given the python policy. See [5]
    - Same as above for Depends
    - BTW. are you sure that the Recommends are adequate? Consider that
      it should contain everything which the program at a whole does
      not neccesarily depend on, but provides functionality that is
      usually wanted by its users (recommends are installed by default
      usually)
    - Description needs some overhaul. See [6] and [7]. Please also
      check it for spelling or grammar errors.

Thats it for now. More comments could follow in the next round.

Best Regards,
Patrick

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
[2] file:///usr/share/doc/menu/html/ch3.html#s3.7
[3] http://lwn.net/Articles/280471/
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg00184.html
[5] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy
[6] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-pkg-synopsis