Re: RFS: irsim

OoO En  cette matinée ensoleillée du  dimanche 25 mai  2008, vers 09:12,
"Aanjhan R" <aanjhan@gmail.com> disait:

>> Despite COPYRIGHT  file at  the root of  the source code,  this software
>> seems not licensed under GPL...  It would be better if upstream included
>> a  clearer statement  about  the  global license  that  his software  is
>> licensed because some files do not contain any copyright statement (data
>> files).

> This is something the upstream will have trouble. Since they have
> exclusively given a COPYRIGHT info on the root of the src folder, I am
> not sure if they will be willing to add the header to all the src
> files. I am not sure whether I have understood if this is what is
> required either.

Copyright  statements  in  source  files  are stronger  than  a  general
copyright  file at  the  root  of the  source  folder.  Sometimes,  some
softwares are  said to  be licensed under  GPL but include  source files
licensed  under various  licenses that  are or  are not  compatible with
GPL. Even  when all licenses are  compatible with the main  one, this is
better  that  upstream  list  all  those  files  with  their  respective
copyrights but this is not a requirement.

However,  when  a  software  is  about  to be  shipped  in  Debian,  the
maintainer has to list all  file licenses, even when they are compatible
with  the GPL.   This is  because you  have to  prove that  there  is no
licensing problem. This  is your case. You have  a global COPYRIGHT file
while all other files are licensed differently with a license compatible
with  GPL.  So you  should  list  all  files containing  copyright  from
Stanford University.

Moreover, I think that ftp-master  may require more work about this. The
only mention  of GPL  is inside COPYRIGHT.  This file just  contains the
license. It does not say that  the software is licensed under GPL. It is
a reference file that should be  pointed to when citing GPL. Each source
file or a general README should contain a statement that the software is
licensed under GPL. Something like that:

,----
| This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2
| as published by the Free Software Foundation.
|
| This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful
| but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
| GNU General Public License for more details.
|
| You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public Lice
| with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundati
| 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
`----

IMO, there is two problems that should be fixed:
 - you should  consider that irsim is licensed under  the license at the
   top of  most files, but  this means that  there are some  files which
   have no clear  license (data files). I don't know  how to handle this
   case.
 - you  should ask  upstream to  include a  clearer statement  about the
   license he wants  to use (and even if he does  that, you should still
   list all files that uses SU copyright)

You may want to ask for more accurate advices on debian-legal.

>> You  ship a  lot of  files  in /usr/lib/irsim.  Those files  seem to  be
>> architecture  independant  and  should  be shipped  in  /usr/share/irsim
>> instead. Moreover, you ship some documentation that should be moved into
>> /usr/share/doc.

> Moved all the files to the respective folders. Now the lintian
> generates the following warning.

> W: irsim: package-contains-empty-directory usr/lib/irsim/

> Removing irsim folder generates the usr/lib folder empty message. Am
> not sure how to do this. Pardon me for this stupid question.

Just remove /usr/lib folder (rm -rf $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib at the end of the
install target).
--
No fortunes found