Re: Compiling with -mtune?

On 22/05/2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > I think csound is unlikely to be cross-built. Sound synthesis is a
> > pretty cpu-intensive task.
>
> :-) don't think that cross-building is only for low resource units.

And please don't second-guess people in general. Think of those using
clusters, e.g.

> I suppose csound may also require a lot of RAM.

kdepim's build process comes to mind.

> It is still possible that an arch could be sufficiently powerful to
> *run* csound but not capable of building gcc for itself. (I would be
> surprised if running csound is quite as much workload as compiling
> gcc.)

People might also want to cross-build using a single huge machine acting
as build-server, so that there's a single system to maintain, rather
than having to maintain (and own?) a machine for each arch.

Mraw,
KiBi.