Re: Developer names within debian/changelog

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:

>> I know of no special meaning that dpkg assigns to those names, as far
>> as I know it just treats them like any other changelog line.

> Yet they don't conform to the policy specification, so I'm wondering
> what specification was followed when implementing consumers of the
> format.

They do comply with the Policy specification in that the Policy
specification doesn't really place any requirements on the body of the
changelog, only a convention:

    The change details may in fact be any series of lines starting with at
    least two spaces, but conventionally each change starts with an
    asterisk and a separating space and continuation lines are indented so
    as to bring them in line with the start of the text above. Blank lines
    may be used here to separate groups of changes, if desired.

I don't know if it's worth being more formal here in Policy or not.  It
might be more of a devref thing.