Re: Call for help: please read (bashisms)

Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  I would like to request everybody to check for bashisms in the packages
>>  they: prepare, review, and upload.
>>  lintian is currently not able to check for bashisms in files other than
>>  maintainer scripts (debian/rules excluded), so it is not as easy as
>>  saying 'just check with the latest lintian'.
>>

>>  How to do it:
>>
>>  I've written a script called checkbashisms-in-package.sh[4] which can be
>>  used to easily check for bashisms in a .deb once checkbashisms is in
>>  $PATH. Please be aware that this script only looks for bashisms in some
>>  directories and not _everywhere_, which means there might be some
>>  bashisms left in other places (suggestions and patches welcome!).
>
> Any particular reason this hasn't been merged into lintian, since that
> is the right place for it?

I don't know the exact details, but I remember there are some kind of
limitations. For more information please refer to #253012 (CC'ing Russ so
he can give his two cents).

I've been working on making the checkbashisms code a .pm, adding some
features lintian is very likely to require (e.g. adding custom checks,
getting/setting a file content/cache). But I still need to fix some stuff.

Russ: given the fact that most development of the checkbashisms code is done
right now at devscripts, don't you think it would be better if lintian used
devscript's .pm (when done)? updating the file from devscript's subversion
every now and then doesn't sound hard at all (of course the devscripts
maints/devs, or me, would ping you when changes are done).

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.