Re: RFS: folding

Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:31:50PM -0400, Zachary Palmer a écrit :
Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "folding".

* Package name    : folding
 Version         : 5.04+1
 Upstream Author : Zachary Palmer <zep01@bahj.com>
* URL             : N/A
* License         : GPL
 Section         : contrib/science

Dear Zachary,

being on a ppc platform, I can not test your package. However I have the
following comments :

 * What is this build script in the root directory ? apt-file search
   do32 (a program that the script tries to invoke) does not find
   anything...

 * debian/docs and debian/conffiles are empty.

* In the control file you could use Homepage: http://folding.standford.edu/ (with a two space before the H).

 * debian/dirs lack an end of line character, and as a consequence cat dirs
   does not display the last line.

I am not a DD anyway, so I can not sponsor your package. But you will
save time to potential sponsors anyway by solving these points.

PS: If you want to manage the sources of your pacakge in a SVN, I think
that the debian-med SVN on Alioth could host you.

Have a nice day,

Charles,

Thank you for your response!

* The presence of the build script is an accident. I am on an AMD64 system and am using that script at the moment to chroot into my 32-bit environment to build the package; it was a quick hack to ensure the package was built for the i386 architecture and not the amd64 architecture. It's not like it makes a difference in practice since the package's contents are exclusively bash scripts, but I know that building in my 64-bit environment produced "*_amd64.deb" files. I will move it out of the way before I upload another try.

* To the best of my knowledge, this package has no documentation nor any configuration files. The Folding@Home software automatically detects a configuration file "client.cfg" in the present working directory, which is /var/lib/folding/ and which is also the place where it writes its work queue, checkpoints, and other transient data. There is no way that I have found to instruct the software to put the files anywhere else. I see three possibilities to solve this:

1. Leave it as is (which is obviously not desirable).
2. Create a symlink to a configuration file so that the configuration is actually stored somewhere else. If I did this, where would be an appropriate place to store the file? /etc/folding? 3. Mark the entire /var/lib/folding directory as a configuration file. Is that possible? That's the current behavior of the package, but it's enforced by the postrm script and not by the package metadata.

* I could use http://folding.stanford.edu as the homepage for the project. However, I have been encouraged to make a distinction between Stanford's software (the Folding@Home client) and my software (the bash script that downloads and installs the Folding@Home client for you). My software does not have a homepage. With this in mind, should I still put the Folding@Home homepage in the control file?

* I have fixed the lack of an newline character at the end of debian/dirs.

Again, I appreciate your feedback. I have built a few Debian packages in the past for my own use but am quite sure that they wouldn't have been accepted for distribution because of nuances and policy violations like these. ;) Have a nice day!

Regards,

Zachary Palmer