Re: Can DFSG firmware not rebuildable within Debian still go in main?

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007, Frédéric Brière wrote:
> I'm currently working on a package (opencbm, ITP #437316) which
> includes 6502 code that is sent to external devices (namely, old
> Commodore disk drives and printers).

[...]

> I guess it all depends on what Policy means by "require a package for
> compilation".  Does this include the ability to modify any part of the
> source beforehand?

Generally speaking, yes. It's less clear in the case of firmware
though, as the ftpmasters have not been requiring source for that, so
long as there is a license to redistribute in a manner appropriate for
distribution by Debian mirrors. [It's definetly ok to go in contrib,
regardless.]

It'd probably be ideal to get a cc65 compatibility mode for xa65, but
that's almost definetly more work than xa65 people are probably
willing to do.

Don Armstrong

--
Cheop's Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p242