rpath issue on 64 bit architectures

Hi,
packaging gnome-phone-manager Leo "costela" Antunes made me see that
lintian was complaining about an rpath set to /usr/lib. I've built the
package on i386 and I saw no warnings, but under an amd64 the problem is
present.
I've reported the bug to author thinking about a configure or Makefile
problem, but searching in google I seemed to understand that the problem
is linked to the fact that under amd64 the various lib64 directories are
symlinks to the relative lib dirs and in fact the author has answered
that he uses standard libtool and automake to generate the distribution
tarball.
I've solved the problem adding a call to chrpath following an hint by
Leo. I've seen[1] that there are others methods to solve this kind of
problem, eg pathching libtool after the configure...
I would like to know, what in your opinion is the best solution.
And then, I am mistaken thinking that the problem is related to the fact
that lib64/ is a symlink to lib/ ?

Cheers,
francesco

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue