Re: RFS: gnormalize

Hi,

> It builds these binary packages:
> gnormalize - Graphical audio ripper, encoder, converter, player and tag
> editor

I'm not a DD, so I can't sponsor you, but here are my comments:

The source contains several tar.gz files:

0 bzed@hal:/tmp/gnormalize-0.52$ ls -l *.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed  7867 2006-12-02 21:31 Audio-CD-0.04-changed.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed 21820 2006-12-02 21:31 CDDB_get-2.27.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed 99599 2006-12-02 21:31 MP3-Info-1.20.tar.gz

CDDB_get sounds like what's available in the libcddb-get-perl package,
so you can at least remove that from the source as it doesn't make sense
to ship the same source several times. Add patches if changes are needed
to use the packaged lib instead of the shipped version. Probably you'll
have to ask the maintainer to update it.
Same for MP3-Info-1.20.tar.gz/libmp3-info-perl.
Not sure about Audio-CD-0.04-changed.tar.gz due to the 'changed' in the
name, if there're changes involved you probably want to integrate them
in libaudio-cd-perl or find a different way.

Also I'm pretty sure debian/copyright is not complete (as it doesn't
mention the content of the tar.gz files), but first check the mentioned
point above to find out what will really end up in your package.

>From debian/TODO: Manpage for mppdec is missing.... If a manpage is
missing - write one!

Also a simple build of your package fails.

bzed@hal:/tmp/gnormalize-0.52$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package gnormalize
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.52-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Alessio Gaeta <alga777@libero.it>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
/usr/bin/make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/gnormalize-0.52'
rm gnormalize.1.gz
rm: cannot remove `gnormalize.1.gz': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [clean] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gnormalize-0.52'
make: *** [clean] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
status 2

gnormalize_0.52-1.diff.gz contains a patch to the Makefile and
gnormalize, I know there're different opinions about that, but I'd
prefer to use a proper patches for that, using dpatch or quilt.
But that's something you have to discuss with the DD who sponsors your
package at the end.

debian/control: Architecture: any - looks like a pure perl program, so
Architecture: all would be the right things here.
Also use a proper Homepage field as it is supported now: Add Homepage:
http://.... to the upper part of debian/control. If you want to have it
in the description, use a construct like
 .
  Homepage: http://
^^^ note the extra space

debian/rules: remove the commented dh_* calls, also remove all dh* calls
which are unnecessary here (dh_strip is one example here, figuring out
what else is a good way to learn what those tools do :))

That's all for now :)

Cheers,

Bernd

--