Re: New packaging advice, manpages and binary additions

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:46:08AM +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> The first issue i had was getting my man page to be found in the
> debianised source. I could not find this documentation anywhere but it
> seems that just having my manpage named debian/qavimator.6 was not
> enough i had to also have a file debian/manpages that lists the
> manpages to be included, eg contained "debian/qavimator.6". Have i
> just misunderstood the documentation (new maintainers guide and policy
> reference), or have there been changes to dh_installman ?

Put a file called manpages in the Debian directory (or
<package>/manpages, in case you use multiple packages). The contents
of this file should be:

debian/qavimator.6

That's it, if you ensure that dh_installman is called.

> Second issue is how do I add a binary file, eg an icon (xpm), to the
> source tree?. The applicaiton is a X11 QT app and so it would be nice
> to have a menu icon but upstream does not have one. Clearly the ideal
> situation is to get upstream to add one but untill that happens is it
> possible to just add an icon to the source tree with out
> "unrepresentable changes" messages when running dpkg-buildpackage ?
> What is the correct policy for doing this? Do i need to split the
> package into 2 for arch independent and dependent, the amount of data
> is very small so it did not seem worth while.

As you say, you can convert the image to XPM and put it in the debian/
directory. Then, you can use dh_install to put it in the right place.

> One final thing, upstream only has a SVN tree, it is not making
> tarball releases. Is this an issue? I can try to work with them to see
> if they will do it, but if not should i create a "friendly fork?"

No issue. Just ensure that you version your tarballs with epoch etc.

For example, foo-1.2.3+svn20071015-1 could be the version. If they
don't have any version (like 1.2.3), you may artifically add 0 and
make the Debian version foo-0+svn20071015-1. Ensure you name your
orig.tar.gz appropriately.

HTH.

Kumar
--