Re: How package a binary library with unversioned soname?

Nikolaus Schulz <microschulz@web.de> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 12:57:06AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It would require that you make modifications to the upstream source,
>> probably.  So will lots of other things, though.  The only packages for
>> which I don't end up needing some sort of patch management system or
>> strategy for modifying the upstream source are ones for which I'm
>> upstream.

> Sorry, it's clear that I have to modify the source, and I have already
> done so.  With "patch management system" I meant something like dpatch.
> Doesn't dumping several upstream tarballs in one Debian source package
> require something like that?

No, they're unrelated.  Dumping unrelated tarballs together requires
repackaging the upstream source to create a custom .orig.tar.gz file,
documenting how you did that (I prefer doing so in debian/copyright), and
ideally creating a get-orig-source debian/rules target to redo the work on
an automated basis.

> Configuration files and undocumented binary data, probably describing
> internals of the supported printers.  They seem to be read-only.

> I was just worrying about the directory name, because it might not
> comply with policy; especially since "bjlib" probably won't be the
> package name.

Policy doesn't require that /usr/lib subdirectories be named after the
package.  It's just recommended because it makes it easier to figure out
what belongs to what without falling back on dpkg -S, and because it makes
conflicts less likely.  If nothing else is using that directory now, I
don't expect it would be a problem.

> It is an awful mess, yes!  And I've asked myself more than once if it's
> a sane idea to package this.  But these drivers support printer models
> and model specific features for which, to my knowledge, no free
> alternative exists.  And my impression is that many Debian and Ubuntu
> users already use these drivers anyway; either by "alienizing" the
> official Canon rpm's, or by installing the unofficial Debian packages at
> [1].  And even the latter don't even try to meet Debian standards.

> So I think, yes, there are many Debian users who need it; and I want to
> package it.  Clearly this won't be a very nice package, but it will be
> an ugly package or no package at all.  I just hope the thing will
> finally be good enough to both find a sponsor and have the ftp-masters
> wave it.

Okay.  I don't have an opinion one way or the other -- I personally hate
printers, so I'm just commenting from a general Policy perspective.