Re: How to start porting to a new ARCHITECTURE?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:26:37PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2007-09-17 19:46:20, schrieb David Given:
> > For the former, you'll need to write a new gcc backend targeting your
> > architecture, and then add support to binutils to allow programs to be linked.
> > This is not easy. gcc's innards tend to drive people mad.
>
> While reading a little bit the gcc documentation, I am realy confuse
> WHERE to start and HOW!

At first you should check what is already available. I wrote a gcc
backend for a small RISC core during my internship. They told me, they
have an assembler. But it only was a hackish perl script. And the
functionality of ld and ar was not implemented at all. So I started
with implementing as, ld and ar. Half a year later, everything worked
fine and there was only one bug in the port I knew of. But I didn't
implement stuff like floating point. Of course, to get a compiler which
is able to compile itself more work is needed. And after that you
can start porting Linux...

Daniel