Re: speed of COW directory copying: XFS 20x slower than ext3

> Does this possibly have to do with buffer flushing choices by the
> filesystem?  Maybe xfs syncs after some operations (like rm -rf) that ext3

Probably not.

> does not.
>
> Try adding 'sync' after both steps and see if that changes performance.

I did, see "Note 3" in the wiki. It's actually XFS, that caches things
on amd64, so with sync, the XFS takes 3.5s on amd64 (instead of those
0.5s). But ext3 with sync is still very fast (from 0.2s to 0.4s)
everywhere. So this only makes things worse for XFS...

Ondrej