Re: Packaging question

On September 15, 2007 07:20:29 pm Peter wrote:
> If I post this question in the wrong list please tell me where to ask
> the question  :)
>
> I created an update package and it install perfectly but for one thing.
> If I install an earlier version, my package won't show up as an update.
> It's the first time this has happened. I believe I know why it doesn't
> but I don't know how to fix it  :)
>
> The old version has a version as 1:2.1.1, my version is a 2.2 but
> because of the 1: in front of the earlier version that one seems to be
> preferred.
>
> In the debian/control file I added the line:
> Replaces: package ( << 1:2.1.2)
> Result was no update
>
> Changed it to:
> Replaces: package ( << 1:2.1.1)
> Result was no Update
>
> Changed it to:
> Replaces: package ( <= 1:2.1.2)
> Result was no update
>
> So what do I need to do to make my package be seen as an update?

The 1: is an epoch number, added by the packager "to leave behind mistakes
left in older version number" [1].  You have to keep using it if you want
your new package to be viewed as an update to the previous version.  You then
need to use version 1:2.2.

Your use of the Replace field is also incorrect.  You don't need it if you
correctly set the version number of the new package.  See the policy manual
to understand what Replace really does [2].

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-versions
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html