Re: doc-base: documentation in different languages

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:18:00 +0200 (CEST)
"Jan-Pascal van Best" <janpascal@vanbest.org> wrote:

Please keep this on the mentors mailing list.

> >> Is there a way to let doc-base know that there are two versions of the
> >> documentation available, and that it should display, e.g.,
> >> Documentation_fr.html if LC_LANG=fr, and Documentation.html otherwise?
> >
> > You could just use two files:
> > That gets you two entries in the doc base list.
>
> Sure. But what I was trying to ask, can I tell doc-base that these are
> really the same information but in different languages, so that when a
> French user browses the doc base, he or she sees the French version, while
> all others see only the English version?

1. If this is gnome-related, use gnome-doc-tools and scrollkeeper. That
involves rewriting the docs in docbook / XML.
2. If your .doc package can depend on dwww, then you could use some
form of scripting. PHP can do it, perl can do it, even Javascript can
have a go at it. Using PHP etc. could get tricky as you are relying on
the user having not just http://localhost but a working PHP install too.

AFAICT doc-base is not i18n-aware. IMHO it does not need to be aware
either. doc-base simply registers documentation for use by other tools.
It is up to those other tools whether and how to support i18n and l10n.

If you want automation, use i18n-aware tools as in Gnome (and I suspect
in KDE too). Using gnome-help, yelp, scrollkeeper or something similar
is the standard method but it requires upstream cooperation.

--

Neil Williams