Re: RFC: irrlicht

> * -fPIC is only used when building the .so file but not when compiling
> the source files (is it ok this way?)

No, it is not ok that way. Follow this link. It also answers your
question regarding -fPIC and static linking (short answer, also not ok):
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html

> * whether to use the .pc file or not (personally I see no advantage,
> what do you think Brandon?)

I think the .pc file is pretty important for development libraries. It
is especially important for irrlicht for two reasons.

1) The linking procedure for compiling against irrlicht is different in
Debian than what people who download from upstream are used to. You
dynamically linked against libpng, libjpeg62, etc, whereas upstream
included those with the package.

2) You are going to have to rewrite the Makefiles for the examples,
becasue the current ones don't work in an installed irrlicht. This will
be easier to maintain if, rather than writing the compiler lines by
hand, you just had the .pc file, and in the Makefiles wrote lines like
`pkg-config --libs irrlicht`.

> * Should the .chm file be shipped in the -doc package or only the HTML
> documentation?

That's more of a personal choice than anything. If you do provide both,
make sure you document somewhere, such as the readme, that both files
contain the same information.

> * what to do with the media/ files in the -examples package (some
> files are not free like dx's logo, opengl logo; there's also the
> lucida font in a .png file so I'm not sure it is ok)

You probably already know this, but your choices are:
* Put irrlicht-examples in non-free (kind of a cop-out, but acceptable)
* Replace the non-free items with free items
* Rewrite the examples to not use anything non-free
* Not include irrlicht-examples

I'm not an expert in debian policy, but I think you can't include the
non-free components in the source package if you want to put the source
package in main. You want to keep the source package in main, otherwise
the whole thing will have to go to non-free.

If you put irrlicht-examples in non-free, you'll need two separate
source packages. You might actually find it easier to replace the
non-free content. Openarena has quake meshes. They are GPL. You'll have
to make a note of that in the copyright file.

I'm not sure how to actually handle replacing the files. Is it ok to
put them into the orig.tar.gz? I'm sure the answer is in the policy
manual somewhere.

Perhaps it would be best to skip the examples for the initial version.

> * lintian complaining about missing soname

I noticed that too. Not from lintian, but using executables compiled
against your library require the symlink that is only included in the
development library. I bet the fix is easy, but I don't really know
what it is. I bet it is a gcc option.

Good luck!

-Brandon