Re: stripping by upstream

Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> writes:

> Such is the case with my packages. Upstream does strip in the
> Makefile. Aside from editing the Makefile using dpatch, is there
> anything else that is easily done to correct this? I know this seems
> straightforward, but I just wanted to ask before I start editing
> upstream where before it was left untouched.

If upstream does something nice like use a STRIP variable to hold the path
to strip, you can run:

    make install STRIP=:

in your debian/rules (or make, whichever is appropriate).  You can use
similar tricks to remove -s from install if upstream puts such things into
makefile variables.

If they don't, you have to patch the Makefile.