Re: RFS: Many php-* packages to be updated: php-auth-http php-compat php-config php-crypt-cbc php-event-dispatcher php-html-common php-html-select php-image-barcode php-net-ping php-net-portscan php-xml-rss (updated package)

Gregory Colpart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 02:41:11PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I knew them, and used them a lot in the past, but as I am doing the
>> packaging using "pear install" and some rm, I thought it would be more
>> consistent like this. Anyway, this is changed and now using
>> dh_installdocs and dh_installexamples instead, but of course, the rest
>> is still using "pear install". If it was a problem, then php-net-ipv4
>> has it too (which was the example I took). I could have as well called
>> "pear install" in a temporary build folder, and call dh_install later
>> on, but I thought it was a bit too much. Let me know what you think
>> about this.
>
> I maintain 3 pear-module packages in pkg-php repository
> and I begin to documente my way to package/to use SVN:
> http://wiki.debian.org/GregoryColpart/PkgPhpPearSVN

Why did you choose SVN? It's not any better than CVS, it has the same
lacks, like not being able to manage unix rights, which is really the
basic. Why don't you upgrade to Git or Mercurial which are REALLY a LOT
better?

The very big advantage of Git is that everybody can have it's own public
repository and just send you the URL so you can pull from it.

> I plan to improve "Requirements for PHP PEAR libraries"[*] to
> have a common policy for all PHP PEAR modules (common packaging,
> short/long description, procedures to request a new PHP PEAR
> module package or updating) in order to facilitate team
> maintainance and have high-quality and uptodate PHP PEAR
> packages.
>
> [*] http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft-php/html/ch-php-libs.html#s-php-libs-pear

This is a VERY good idea, and I think it will help a lot to improve the
pear package. Thanks for writing this.

Thomas