Re: Sponsor Checklist

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> So, how do you propose to evaluate people? Though evaluation is
> necessary, isn't it tough for people who don't really have a "FOSS
> contributor" background?

The skill level that the sponsor requires is really up to the sponsor.
The important point is that the sponsor needs to be aware of the skill
level of the maintainer, and needs to gauge whether they are
comfortable with sponsoring that particular package from a maintainer
with that particular skill level.

As far as the actual evaluation goes, that's really up to the sponsor.
I personally either already have observed the maintainer, or I ask
questions during the sponsorship process that give me a rough idea of
what's going on.

The point isn't really to exclude prospective maintainers, but to make
sure that the sponsor has a rough idea of how much time and effort
it's going to take to help the maintainer keep the package in a state
that's appropriate for Debian, and only sponsor packages where they
can actually expend that time and effort.

Don Armstrong

--
Democracy is more dangerous than fire. Fire can't vote itself immune
to water.