Re: Creating Source Packages

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:13:06AM +1000, Brendon Costa wrote:
> I have been looking on the web, but have found little in the way of
> tutorials on how to create a debian source package. I have created a
> binary package for my project (EDoc++: http://edoc.sourceforge.net/),
> but want to create a source package and then build the binary one from this.
>
> Does anyone here know of a link where there is information on doing this
> sort of thing? I couldn't believe google didn't come up with anything as
> I am sure this is a VERY common way of creating debian packages.

Actually, there is no one-file source package form of a deb like there
is for rpms. When you create your binary package, a signed .dsc file is
created with which you can create the deb in conjunction with the
original upstream tarball and the diff of the debian packaging.

So you would basically distribute the following files:

    package_1.0-1.dsc
    package_1.0.orig.tar.gz
    package_1.0-1.diff.gz

And extract/build the package with:

    $ dpkg-source -x package_1.0-1.dsc
    $ cd package-1.0
    $ debuild

I hope this is the way you created your deb in the first place. ;)

Cheers,
    Franz

--
 .''`.   Franz Pletz <fpletz@franz-pletz.org> - http://franz-pletz.org/