Re: RFS: truncate

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:53:38PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "truncate".
>
> * Package name    : truncate
>   Version         : 2007.03.13-1
>   Upstream Author : Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> (myself)
> * URL             : http://devel.ringlet.net/sysutils/truncate/
> * License         : Two-clause BSD
>   Section         : utils
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> truncate   - FreeBSD utility to truncate or extend the size of files
>
>  The truncate utility adjusts the length of each regular file given on the
>  command-line.  This package is simply a redistribution of the utility as
>  found in the FreeBSD base system.
>  .
>   Homepage: http://devel.ringlet.net/sysutils/truncate/
>
> The package is lintian clean.

Very frankly, this should go into coreutils. Having a package alone for
an utility that is probably less than 100 lines of C, and that can be replaced
by a single line perl script (and i'm not talking about these ugly one-liners)
is a bit too much. OTOH, I've always wondered why coreutils didn't have an
utility for ftruncate().

If licensing is a problem, it could be reimplemented very easily. Writing a
wrapper around ftruncate() is not very difficult.

Mike